Don't Travel with Cotton Candy

When Dasha Fincher got pulled over by two Monroe County, Georgia, sheriff's deputies on New Year's Eve in 2016, she had a bag of blue cotton candy with her. The deputies-who said they pulled the car over because of its dark window tint, but allegedly later admitted the windows were legal-didn't believe it was cotton candy. A roadside field test said there was meth in the bag and Fincher was arrested and charged with meth trafficking and possession with intent to distribute. She couldn't pay her $1 million bond and so stayed in jail for three months. Finally in March 2017, Georgia Bureau of Investigation tests revealed there was no meth and a month after that, the charges were dropped. Now Fincher is suing - big time. Her federal lawsuit names the county, the deputies, and Sirchie Acquisitions, the company that manufactures the roadside drug test. Fincher alleges the test has a history of false positives, and that the blue food coloring used in the cotton candy triggered one. She also alleges the deputies were not trained in administering the test or in identifying street drugs, and that they ultimately violated her civil rights as a result. The suit says Fincher's incarceration caused her to miss "several major life events," including the birth of her twin grandsons, and that when her son brought the babies to the jail to meet her, he was arrested on an outstanding bench warrant. Shortly thereafter, the suit says that Fincher, "frustrated with her incarceration," broke her hand on a concrete wall. (WMAZ)

When Dogs Drive Tractors

In England, 70-year-old Derek Mead was a multimillionaire farmer who met a most untimely death after a tractor driven by his pet dog crushed him to death. You heard that right. Mead was apparently building a rock garden at his home in England when he got out of the vehicle, leaving it in neutral without pulling the handbrake. Mead's dog stayed inside and likely jumped up and hit the lever that makes the tractor move backwards or forwards. Mead's son Alistair, who cried throughout the inquest, said he was driving close to his family home that day when he saw his father stuck under the tractor: He said, "We stopped, and I could see Dad's legs at the front of the machine. I could see that he was trapped." The court determined there weren't any other "reasonable explanations" for Mead's death, and an assistant coroner called it "a very tragic accident." Mead, who lived near Weston-super-mare in the west of England, was a noted landowner and businessman who farmed about 3,000 acres and owned racehorses. (CNN)

Finders Keepers?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but whatever bargain you scored on Black Friday pales in comparison to the deal a man got when he purchased a storage unit in Southern California last October. Dan Dotson of A&E's Storage Wars was the one who actually sold the unit for $500 through his company American Auctioneers. It was only later he found that the man who bought it found a safe in the unit - a safe full of $7.5 million in cash! When the storage unit's original owners found out it had been sold they reached out to the new owners via a lawyer to make a deal to get their money back, making an initial offer of $600,000. They ended up letting the new owner keep $1.2 million. Not a bad profit on a measly $500 investment." On the other hand, you've got $7.5 million in cash and you can't make your storage unit payments on time? (Desert Sun)


It seems right before his death, Playboy founder Hugh Hefner dumped a casket full of his private sex tapes into the sea - fearing that his most famous and secret conquests would be exposed. The information comes to light as Hefner's most personal belongings are being auctioned off later this month. But while his signature pipe, dressing gowns and other items are currently on show to the public before they go under the hammer, paranoid Hefner made sure his dirtiest secrets would never be found. According to insiders, Hef, who passed away in 2017 at the age of 91, gathered up his entire hidden collection of tapes, X-rated photos and even intimate notes from superstars and threw them all in a specially-made casket lined with cement and had his aides dump them in the sea. Well, wouldn't you? (Page Six)

Thanks Doc!

How can you ever properly thank the doctor who saved you from cancer? Well, you could tattoo his face on your back. A few months ago in Argentina, Nano Salguero was diagnosed with colon cancer and immediately referred to the Hospital de Clinicas in the regional capital for emergency surgery, where he was operated on by Dr. Paul Lada, a surgical oncologist with 42 years of experience under his belt. Nano's operation was a success, and even though he is technically still in recovery, he recently showed his gratitude to Dr. Lada by sending him a photo of a large tattoo of Lada's smiling face next to the hospital he works at that he had inked on his back. Salguero said, "He literally saved my life. I went into the hospital with the worst of my life and walked out with the best." The young cancer survivor said that he decided to get Dr. Lada's face tattooed on his back both out of admiration for his ability to "work with love" and gratitude for having saved his life. (Oddity Central)

The Call of Duty

In Deland, Florida, a virtual battle turned into some real-life drama for one family after neighbors called police believing a gun battle was taking place in their home. One neighbor called to report a possible disturbance when they heard a man and woman yelling things including "that is my gun, give it to me" and "please don't kill me." When officers arrived at the home, however, they found out the couple was perfectly fine - and just playing the video game "Call of Duty." The woman inside the home, Jamie McKee, later said it was the first time she was playing with her husband at their home with the windows open. The game got heated at one point between her, her husband, and their daughter. She said, "I was in there laughing and saying ‘don't kill me' you know." She also added that the incident taught her a very important lesson going forward saying, "We will close the windows when we play!" (FOX 35)

What the What?

One of the big questions of life is what will happen when we die. Will we see a bright white light? Will our life flash before our eyes? Well according to some new research, the reality is much, much more terrifying. The study has suggested that when our heart stops, our brain will keep functioning for some time after, essentially leaving us trapped in our own bodies. Dr. Sam Parnia from the Stony Brook University School of Medicine is looking into consciousness after death by examining cardiac arrest cases in Europe and the US. He says there is anecdotal evidence that cardiac arrest survivors could hear what was happening around them while they were technically dead before being "brought back to life." Parnia added, "They'll describe watching doctors and nurses working, they'll describe having awareness of full conversations, of visual things that were going on, that would otherwise not be known to them." Even more terrifying than that, there is some evidence to suggest that people have even heard themselves being pronounced dead by doctors. In the medical field, the time of death is usually calculated when the heart stops. When this happens, our brain function halts "almost instantly" but Parnia claims that brain cells can still be active hours after the heart stopped. (Metro)


Popular posts from this blog

City Page Survey

Fall Book Discussion and Movie Series

Book discussion group to meet