- One-third of all adults -- that's about 1.5 billion people worldwide -- have a 20% to 30% greater risk of disease because they do not exercise at least 150 minutes a week.
- 80% of adolescents live a risky sedentary lifestyle.
- About 6% of coronary artery disease cases and 7% of type 2 diabetes cases are linked to lack of exercise. Physical inactivity also accounts for an average of about 10% of breast and colon cancer cases worldwide.
- In North America, 43% of adults are classified as inactive, compared with just 17% of Asians.
- If physical inactivity rates were to be cut by as little as 10% globally, as many as 533,000 lives could be saved. And if it could be sliced by 25%, 1.3 million lives could be saved.