FILL YOUR HEAD WITH HAIR
- Here are eight tips to help prevent hair damage and hair loss:
- Instead of using a blow dryer, dry your hair by wrapping it in a towel after a shower or bath or let it air-dry.
- If your hair is straight, handle it as little as possible when it's wet; wet hair breaks more easily when combed or brushed. But if your hair is tightly curled or textured, do brush it when it's wet to decrease the chances of hair breakage.
- Keep brushing to a minimum. Brushing your hair 100 strokes each day can cause split ends.
- Reduce the use of "long-lasting hold" styling products. Using a comb to style your hair after you apply the product can cause the hair to break and can lead to hair loss over time.
- Allow your hair to partially air dry before you style or comb. Decreasing the number of times per week that you blow dry also helps limit damage.
- Flat irons should be used only on dry hair on a low or medium heat setting. Use a flat iron no more often than every other day.
- If you use a curling iron, leave it in place for just a second or two. No matter your hair type, excessive heat can damage your hair.
- Do not continually wear braids, cornrows, ponytails and hair extensions. These styles pull on the hair and can cause tension that leads to breakage. If the tension continues, permanent hair loss can develop.