ON THIS DAY
- It became known as the Quaker Shaker.
- One of the settlers wrote, "It was enough to makest thou crappeth!"
- Oh, they had occurred before, but the Native Americans had simply blamed the dog.
In 1770, Captain James Cook, commander of the British ship Endeavour, discovered Australia's Great Barrier Reef by running in to it.
- Someone asked, "What was that cheap champagne he was drinking when he hit it?" and the rest is history.
- He liked doing things the hard way.
- It's what drove him to coming up with his champagne.
- Seems to me, there should have been an easier way.
On this date in 1895, the very first auto race was held. It won, mostly because it was the only car in the race. They were still fine-tuning the sport. To no one's surprise, the winner was driving a car.
On this date in 1919, Sir Barton won the Belmont Stakes, becoming the first horse to win the Triple Crown.
- The horse my great-grandfather had bet on is almost in.
- When you go on Jeopardy! and win a bunch of money on that knowledge, we want a cut.
- However, before you get too impressed, back then it was a dental procedure.
On this date in 1947, sugar rationing in the U.S. ended. Maybe it's something we need to bring back.
In 1991, Julia Roberts and Kiefer Sutherland called off their wedding 96 hours before it was to take place. The events occurred in real time.
On this date in 2002, Paul McCartney married Heather Mills. That's like the "Pearl Harbor Day" of Beatles fans.
Tennis player Tatiana Ignatieva turns 44 today. We don't even know who she is -- we just wanted to make you pronounce it. Dr. Oz turns 58 today. So how do you feel about that? I enjoy watching him because he's the only doctor I can see these days without a co-pay.
Hugh Laurie has him beat by a year. He turns 59 today. Of course, he plans a House party. To show you how the economy has been tough on all of us, even Hugh lost his "House."
Former NFL great Joe Montana is at the 62-year line today.
- Frankly, he was a little surprised that he was 62. Throughout his entire career, whenever he passed 50, the numbers started getting smaller instead of bigger.
- Over his career, he's had more successful passes than Jude Law.
- Does he have any Super Bowl Rings? He has more rings than a frat house bathtub.
FOX News TV host Greta Van Susteren turns 64, her face... 21.
Frank Beard of ZZ Top turns 69 today. He's the only one without a beard... yet named Beard. How weird!