ON THIS DAY
In 1888, Congress created the U.S. Department of Labor. So, actually, today should be "Labor Day."
- And since it was focused on work, it had nothing to do with congress.
- It was a safeguard to make sure that they actually didn't get any work done.
- Congress, creating jobs, to track creating jobs. Bureaucracy is a beautiful thing.
- It was one of the most ironic things to ever happen in Washington, DC.
- We shouldn't be here, we should have the day off!
- Isn't that amazing -- congress actually doing something?
- Up until that time, the bowling balls were in the living room and there was laundry everywhere!
- Up until then, there were boxes everywhere, underwear on the floor... it was a mess.
- It was way overdue and later, they had a huge garage sale.
- Their official motto: "Yes, Yukon! Yes, Yukon!"
On this date in 1948, the New York Yankees retired Babe Ruth's number, 3. In fact, from that day on, New Yorkers were required to say, "As easy as one, two, blank!"
In 1963 that Valentina Tereshkova became the first woman in space. While she enjoyed the incredible views she reported that the meals were a disappointment. Oh, the food was good, but the place lacked atmosphere.
Kat Dennings turns 32 today. She's one of the two broke girls on the TV show, "Two Broke Girls."
Mary Kate Olsen turns 32. In a not-so-amazing coincidence, Ashley Olsen also turns 32. They have a combined age of 64. They're so skinny, they have to stay away from the cake or someone might try to light them.
Steve-O from Jackass turns 44 today. I have no idea how, either... somewhere, someone is paying off a bet. Or, I simply can't explain how he made it this far.
Ally Sheedy turns 56. She's still waiting for that call for the next "Short Circuit" sequel.
Tim Allen turns 65 today. To Metamucil and Beyond! He'll blow out the candles on his cake using the Windblast Extinguisher 5000.
Actor Richard Thomas turns 67 today. Happy birthday, John Boy!
Sewing Machine Day -- What does your basic Christmas tree and sewing machine have in common? (needles)